Wednesday, October 27, 2010

A *change in plans*....

We went back to court today and I was super nervous that something was going to go wrong like last week.... Court proceeded and all the lawyers questioned our caseworker making their arguments.... For a few minutes I thought BM's lawyer was going to get more time but, in the end the judge granted a *change in plan* for all 3 children. It's still a long process to get through but, within the next 30 days a TPR petition will be filed. Then 30-60 days after that, a TPR hearing will be done. If TPR is granted then we go back to court in April when DSS has guardianship of the children and then adoptions can be set..... So, still looks like 6 mos or more before any finalization will happen but, it's another step up from where we were a week ago!

My emotions ran high today as I had to hold my self together when the caseworker stated she received a message from BM after last weeks court date basically sounding like she is giving up.... My heart really went out to her because I think she finally realizes it's best for the children... Maybe now she can concentrate on the newborn who she still has in her care.... I hope for her sake she does! Then I was filled with pride as the caseworker spoke about J and how well he is doing in our home because of us and how we are doing everything possible to help him.... Sometimes being a foster parent is a hard and thankless job but, to hear someone speak of you in that setting in front of all those important people-- it really makes you feel good! Finally I was filled with relief. Relief that this day actually came and now we have a new goal in our sights... Real relief will come when things are finalized but, for now I can relax and enjoy a bit more!

My hubby & I went to get J from school together and then we went out to dinner. J doesn't know what is going on right now but, for my hubby & I it was our *secret* little celebration dinner....

I know that the process is long and that anything can still happen but, we took another step in our lives today... even if for now it was a *baby step* in the end, it's an important step!

1 comment:

  1. Actually sounds like a 10 story ladder to me. You are doing a really good job! I'm so glad somebody else can see it too. :)

    ReplyDelete