Saturday, October 23, 2010

1 year......

A year ago tonight J came into our home, lives and heart.... At the beginning of the day we were a childless couple and by the evening we were instant [foster] parents to a 4 1/2 yr old boy.

I remember that evening like it was yesterday.... I was driving home from work and my cell phone rang. The number was the DSS main number.... My stomach went crazy! We were done our licensing so, why would they be calling ME on a Friday @ 4:10pm? I had just turned onto our street when it rang and answered. It was the resource worker supervisor. After giving me the info and asking a few questions I called my hubby.... We quickly chatted/decided that sure we could keep him for the weekend..... We had a few things to prepare around the house and I got to work immediately [making the bed w/ fresh sheets, etc...]. My hubby got home and we anxiously waited. We weren't sure what time they would be here.... A little before 7pm the caseworker called. She was on our street. I went outside to wait for them. When they pulled up a shy, adorable little boy came out. The caseworker introduced me to him and we went into the house to give him the tour. She gave us some more info about him and a car seat then left. We were on our own. I remember he came with just a few items of clothes and 2 little toys... Now if you look in his room you would never believe that to be true! My hubby had to run out that night while I got J settled in with a bath and snack to get a tooth brush, juice and cereal.... It was an exciting night. I don't even think my hubby & I ate dinner that night we were so nervous.... What a difference a year makes!

We have been through a whole year of firsts-- first holiday's, birthdays, anniversaries, ups & downs.... It's amazing that sometimes it seems like J has been here just a few weeks and others it seems like he has *always* been here....

We didn't make a *big deal* about today because I was afraid it might make J sad and miss his *real* family [his words] even more than I know he does. We had a good day though... We hung out in our PJ's this morning and then had a lazy afternoon at home... My hubby made us our favorite dinner tonight Steak, hand cut FF & steamed shrimp.... It was just a *family relax day* @ our house... We are planning to take J to the pumpkin patch we took him to a year ago tomorrow.... I want to take pics and compare them from last yr to this year... If he stays I want to make it our little family tradition since it was the first place we took him!

I don't know exactly what the next year holds for us but, for now J is our little boy and we love him very much..... My life will never be the same no matter what happens to our little family in the future.... And my heart melts whenever J asks: "Do you love me?" "Do you ALWAYS love me?" or "You are the BEST Mommy!"


I love you Little Monkey! I am so glad you came into my life!

No comments:

Post a Comment